1995-01-12 - Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

Header Data

From: daleh@ix.netcom.com (Dale Harrison (AEGIS))
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c3b860defc58f7d81fa7a33b6ed70d6e81184b639b035af38834cb1761ed628b
Message ID: <199501120650.WAA28898@ix2.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Jan 95 22:51:52 PST

Raw message

From: daleh@ix.netcom.com (Dale Harrison (AEGIS))
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 95 22:51:52 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

You wrote:

>So people can write special software that gets their message rejected
>by an entropy filter.  This is a disadvantage?  It looks like an
>irrelevancy to me.

It's an artificial example, but one that points out that merely doing a
frequency analysis on the datastream isn't enough to guantee the correct
answer.  Reliable remailer software will have to worry about false postives
as well as false negatives; especially if it's a fee-for-service operation.

This might also be a nice feature if you're trying to dodge an NSA filter.

>Seems to me that a quite reasonable condition of use of a remailer is
>that what is passed isn't human readable.

Of course the implicit assumption in that statement is that encrypted
traffic hasn't been outlawed or regulated, or that the sender doesn't want
to 'appear' to be sending encrypted traffic.

Thread