1995-01-31 - Re: “bad” government

Header Data

From: alt@iquest.net (Al Thompson)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d2f33606befd9b5a1fbe7461bd6e236b3b94762d1da11507f40f689024d66862
Message ID: <m0rZNJT-000E68C@dorite.use.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 31 Jan 95 10:28:43 PST

Raw message

From: alt@iquest.net (Al Thompson)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 95 10:28:43 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "bad" government

>>From: erc@s116.slcslip.indirect.com (Ed Carp [khijol Sysadmin])
>
>>Governments as a whole are seen to be "bad" because they invariably undermine
>the right of the individual to make choices for themselves.
>
>Quite untrue. It's society which provides you with an environment in which
>you have choices. And its government which orders that society. It's
>because government has served you so well, that you have luxury to
>fantasize you don't need it. You're being duped.

Government does indeed "order society."  However, "order" does not
equat to liberty, luxury, or to individual freedom.

If strong government resulted in liberty and freedom, then the
most intrusive, all-encompassing governments would result in
its citizens having the most liberty.  Is this the case?  I would
look at the (former) Soviet Union, Iran, Cuba, East Germany, etc.,
for your answer.

Individual liberties do not necessarily result in an "orderly
society."  In fact, an imposed "order" on society, by definition,
must result in limited liberties.

Apply this to anonymous remailers, and encrypted personal mail, and you can
easily see how the government imposing "order" would
result in the end of those activities.

*           Just your basic signature block                *
*  Al Thompson                                             *
*  Fidonet 1:231/110                                       *
*  alt@iquest.net                                          *