1995-01-14 - Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

Header Data

From: pstemari@erinet.com (Paul J. Ste. Marie)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d690cce6e95b86facc692f2556d98b02365f4bda7fc072eaf9be1caa3b251885
Message ID: <9501140112.AB29647@eri.erinet.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 13 Jan 95 17:21:29 PST

Raw message

From: pstemari@erinet.com (Paul J. Ste. Marie)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 95 17:21:29 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

At 09:17 PM 1/12/95 -0600, Larry E wrote:
>         (1) the people who use the remailer, who get a measure of
>             comfort from knowing their communication is secure

They know it's secure because they made it secure.  If they don't care, I
don't particularly see why the remailer should care.

>         (2) legal groups etc. who may try to hold the remailer
>             liable in some way for what passes through their remailer.

It strikes me that this is a very weak defense.  Legal beagles will probably
argue that the remailer should have either prohibited encrypted
communications or else was in collusion with the sending party.

    --Paul J. Ste. Marie
      pstemari@well.sf.ca.us, pstemari@erinet.com

Thread