1995-01-23 - Re: Markoff/NYT on IP spoofing

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: bal@martigny.ai.mit.edu
Message Hash: da9c0b8751d337b18a994f021519c6602ffd4354fff782cba12388031955a835
Message ID: <9501231210.AA10875@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <9501230617.AA20253@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-23 12:12:08 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 04:12:08 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 04:12:08 PST
To: bal@martigny.ai.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Markoff/NYT on IP spoofing

"Brian A. LaMacchia" says:
> John Markoff writes in Monday's New York Times about a rash of computer
> security breaches using IP spoofing to penetrate routers and firewalls.
> That's all the technical info I coudld glean from the story; CERT is
> supposed to "make an announcement" later today and tell us what brands
> of routers can and cannot be modified to defend against this type of
> attack.

The attack is far worse than described in the Times. Markoff didn't
quite understand the full ramifications, or perhaps people weren't
telling him the full story. Its *NOT* just IP spoofing.

Perry

Thread