1995-01-17 - Remailer Abuse (fwd)

Header Data

From: Homer Wilson Smith <homer@math.cornell.edu>
To: Remailer Operators List <Remailer-Operators@c2.org>
Message Hash: dc32afcaca6f3e95f26120d3338e3ce0311c0341fe7d462e84432a6667225463
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950116233334.8718B-100000@math>
Raw Date: Mon, 16 Jan 95 20:36:44 PST

Raw message

From: Homer Wilson Smith <homer@math.cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 95 20:36:44 PST
To: Remailer Operators List <Remailer-Operators@c2.org>
Subject: Remailer Abuse (fwd)

     Here is the message I sent to both the complainant and the complainee.

     Homer

     Dear ..... ,

     I have been contacted by someone complaining about a posting you made
through my remailer.  They want me to tell them who you are, which ain't
going to happen, but at the same time I don't like getting complaints, you
understand?

     Of course I can not tell you who complained any more than I can tell
them who you are.  But you know where you have been posting using my
remailer, right?

     Now I have no idea if what you posted was really abusive or not,
I did not see the posting or postings, and I know a lot of people complain
about 'abuse' when really its just their closed minds being opened up.

     I was able to 'trace' you because you sent something through my
remailer without using chaining.  If you had chained I would never know
who the posting came from.  I was told who it went too and the time, and
its right there in my system's syslogs coming from you.  If you chain and
use PGP, then I could not have traced you.  So read the instructions on
chaining and make sure you USE it.  You will be a lot safer in the future
from complaint attempts than if you don't use chaining.

     If you have questions on how to chain, ask on alt.privacy.anon-server
or read the various helps at many of the remailers.

     I have reposted this letter to alt.privacy.anon-server without your
name and sent a copy to the complainant.

     I expect not to hear anything more about you, ok?

     Homer Wilson Smith
     System Adminstrator of Remailer at
     homer@rahul.net

Thread