1995-01-19 - Re: (none)

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Message Hash: df0dc56a9bcbc6613ce3dc4192fcb0d230d48d027409d8eddd69306431566c77
Message ID: <9501191913.AA04532@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <199501181607.IAA08201@largo.remailer.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-19 19:14:28 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 19 Jan 95 11:14:28 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 95 11:14:28 PST
To: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Subject: Re: (none)

Eric Hughes says:
> Why sendmail doesn't have anti-spam protection at this point is beyond
> me.  Denial of email service to one user should not deny service to
> all others.  I consider broken any email system that crashes a machine
> because of a disk partition filling.

As a mail administrator for many years, I've never seen a site crash
because of a filling disk partition due to mail overload. I've seen
Sendmail shut itself down temporarily, but thats to be expected. As
for the question of mail overload for one user harming the others, its
a design decision.  The only alternative is to produce quotas for mail
delivery, which at most of the places I run would be a very bad thing.
Strictly speaking, sendmail has nothing to do with local delivery and
isn't in a position to do any of this anyway -- but its easy enough to
change the local mailer (which is not part of sendmail) to do quotas
if you like.

Perry

Thread