1995-01-21 - Re: Data Vaults (vs. Data Havens)

Header Data

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: edad1b2405b68c7d5035489c39d47798653356487c7f752587ffb1895f4790ae
Message ID: <199501211645.IAA13329@largo.remailer.net>
Reply To: <199501210713.XAA17754@netcom13.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-21 16:45:46 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 21 Jan 95 08:45:46 PST

Raw message

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 95 08:45:46 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Data Vaults (vs. Data Havens)

   From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)

   I don't think we ought to call these uses "data havens." Save the term
   "data haven" for those places, in cyberspace or in real space, that
   sell access to Nazi medical experiments, that sell illegal birth
   control information, that buy weapons secrets, and so on.

I fully concur.  The connotations of the word "haven" imply activities
that ordinary people don't see themselves doing.  This means that
ordinary people won't generally use something called a "haven", even
if they might use exactly the same service called something else.

Eric

Thread