1995-01-27 - Re: Even more unix holy war. Was “Clinton freezes U.S. assets ..”

Header Data

From: joshua geller <joshua@alkahest.retix.com>
To: jamesd@com.informix.com
Message Hash: f16d3cde46dd72c93626778ab3336c8d47ca384b35d02a3e4744ffb0137cb487
Message ID: <199501270601.WAA02306@alkahest.isas.com>
Reply To: <9501270538.AA00359@carbon.informix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-27 06:01:54 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 22:01:54 PST

Raw message

From: joshua geller <joshua@alkahest.retix.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 22:01:54 PST
To: jamesd@com.informix.com
Subject: Re: Even more unix holy war. Was "Clinton freezes U.S. assets .."

>   And did I mention that in DOS you can type:
>   [....]

>   but in unix you type:
>   [....]

ya know, there are mailing lists for people who hate unix.

this isn't one of them.

josh

___

The Zen of UNIX

  "Unix teaches us about the tranistory nature of all things, thus
   ridding us of samsaric attachments and hastening enlightenment.  For
   instance, while trying to make sense of an X initialization script
   someone had given me, I came across a line that looked like an
   ordinary unix shell command with the term "exec" prefaced to it.
   Curious as to what exec might do, I typed "exec ls" to a shell window.
   It listed a directory, then proceeded to kill the shell and every
   other window I had, leaving the screen almost totally black with a
   tiny white inactive cursor hanging at the bottom to remind me that
   nothing is absolute and all things partake of their opposite.

  "In the past I might have gotten upset or angry at such an occurance.
   That was before I found enlightenment through Unix.  Now, I no longer
   have attachments to my processes.  Both processes and the disapperance
   of processes are illusory.  The world is unix, unix is the world,
   labor ceaslessly for the salvation of all sentient beings."
   -Michael Travers

Thread