1995-01-17 - Re: Abuse and Remailer Ethics

Header Data

From: jrochkin@cs.oberlin.edu (Jonathan Rochkind)
To: Mats Bergstrom <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f4c88d17567f88637986d233234d434406cdf19d6ec3efd1f691bba349bc6c89
Message ID: <ab41c1b306021004669b@[132.162.201.201]>
Raw Date: Tue, 17 Jan 95 10:48:34 PST

Raw message

From: jrochkin@cs.oberlin.edu (Jonathan Rochkind)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 95 10:48:34 PST
To: Mats Bergstrom <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Abuse and Remailer Ethics

>This thread illustrates (at least if setup's like this are
>worthy of a place in Raph's list) that penet.fi is the safest
>way to go for the moment. I would just hate it to have my
>head on the plate of a remailer operator who takes an interest
>in subtile ethical discussion of whether to sell me out or not.

If you chain it through 3 or 4 remailers with PGP, then pretty much all 3
or 4 of them have got to decide to sell you out.  I trust Julf a lot, but
I'm not sure I trust him four times as much as much as every other remailer
operator.  Or something like that.

You can also probably use penet as a link on your larger chain, although
I've never tried this to see how it works.

And I would note that the "subtle ethical discussion" seemed to consist of
the operator trying to figure out what he should do in the future about
this sort of thing, and he never even seemed to consider turning over the
name of the anon user.  Although he did acknowledge that in the future he
might, or might work with other operators to try and discover a True Name.
*shrug*

Thread