1995-01-26 - Re: Even more unix holy war. Was “Clinton freezes U.S. assets ..”

Header Data

From: Bill O’Hanlon <wmo@digibd.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f85d7ee066454462f863cd0dd379be55278d215075605bc5a2e49397358abbc8
Message ID: <9501262358.AA16253@poe.digibd.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 15:58:49 PST

Raw message

From: Bill O'Hanlon <wmo@digibd.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 15:58:49 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Even more unix holy war. Was "Clinton freezes U.S. assets .."

On Thu, 26 Jan 1995 14:43:39 -0800 (PST)  "James A. Donald" wrote:
--------
> On Thu, 26 Jan 1995, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > Unix is perfectly easy to use. Its no worse than DOS.
>
> Thanks for the entertainment Perry.

(I'm assuming you're being sarcastic.)

I had agreed with Perry's statement when I saw it.  I've taught classes in both
DOS and UNIX.  Whenever I've taught people who knew next to nothing about
computers, I found people were able to attain a basic "user" sort of skill
level in about the same amount of time with about the same difficulty when
learning either.

If you're going to be snotty and sarcastic, the least you could do is provide
a counter-example, to give us something to discuss.  After you showed your
heinie (IMHO) in your comments about operating system security the other day.
I'd think you'd have lost credibility to gain.  I mean, I was tempted to
make a comment to you much like the one you made to Perry, but I didn't think
it was worth the time.

Thread