1995-02-06 - Re: Excerpts of signed messages

Header Data

From: Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl <rrothenb@ic.sunysb.edu>
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com (Hal)
Message Hash: 08d4b9cc834665b78cbe4c08ee69885b91a25cb3d66fe45dcfb901480fcacc98
Message ID: <199502061000.FAA01701@libws4.ic.sunysb.edu>
Reply To: <199502060423.UAA18043@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-02-06 10:00:36 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 6 Feb 95 02:00:36 PST

Raw message

From: Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl <rrothenb@ic.sunysb.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 95 02:00:36 PST
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com (Hal)
Subject: Re: Excerpts of signed messages

> (I forget if this was posted here last year, it sounds familiar.)

Some of us are relatively new to the list...

> Suppose I get a PGP-signed flaming message, full of insults, and at the
> end it says, sarcastically, "For a stupid moron, you've made some very
> nice postings."  I could choose to excerpt this last part, "...you've made
> some very nice postings", and exhibit it in signed form.  What I would do

In other words, you'd like to retain an excerpt from the message with the
signature still intact?

Problem with that is how do you prevent one from creating a clerverly made
excerpt that distorts what one is saying (but has a valid signature)? It
seems your example does this very thing.

Better to quote the unsigned portion but retainthe original signed message
as evidence that the excerpt is Ok.

[ Snip! ]

> The checker would know he was dealing with an excerpt, and that it came
> from the end of the message, but he would have know way of knowing what
> was in the part that was removed.

That's the problem, of course.

> Hal

Thread