1995-02-13 - Re: The NSA (Was Re: Factoring - State of the Art and Predictions )

Header Data

From: aegis@netcom.com (Dale Harrison)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 19f596dfd866bb0dc23412b686600223bea1f69fa5681cf20fa4d4d466e2616d
Message ID: <199502130830.AAA02302@netcom.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 13 Feb 95 00:31:05 PST

Raw message

From: aegis@netcom.com (Dale Harrison)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 95 00:31:05 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The NSA (Was Re: Factoring - State of the Art and Predictions )

>I think the NSA has lost its edge completely in the last decade,
>as cryptographic research in the open community has taken off. It
>is much the same sort of situation experienced by IBM, when they
>were slow to catch on to the paradigm shift created by
>distributed computing and workstations, and companies like Sun
>rose from nowhere to become major players.
>
>If the NSA were a corporation, they would be apologizing to their
>shareholders, restructuring, and trying to identify a market
>niche they could continue to be a player in.  Since they are
>funded by government, we don't see them doing this, but it is
>absurd to suggest that they are still decades ahead of the rest
>of the world in basic research and technology.

As a former civilian TS Clearance holder working for the government, I can
tell you I was amazed at what a small percentage of classified material
really deserves to be classified.  90% of what I saw could be categorized as
1)trival, 2)in the public domain already, or 3)politically embarrassing.
For example, look at the long classified human radiation experiments just
coming to light. The government certainly wasn't hidding that info from the
Russians, they were hiding it from the voters. I remember once fighting for
months to get access to some classified papers on the fracture
characteristics of ceramics only to find them to contain nothing that hadn't
been available in the public domain for 20 years. This of course has a lot
to do with the strange sociology of government bureacracies where the
combination of classified information with need-to-know restrictions create
powerful petty-fiefdoms that lead to increased perks and prestige.  The
other thing to realize is that inside the bureacracies there's little in the
way of the vigorous competion of ideas (primarily because of the
manipulation of need-to-know restrictions) that characterizes academia.
Bureaucracies tend to foster myopia and tunnel vision rather than risk
taking and originality.  My guess (and it's only that) is that if all of
NSA's secrets were laid bare, maybe 10% of what they have would be truely
unique and the other 90% would be surprisingly pedestrian.

Dale H.

  Dale W. Harrison, president       |  TEL: (713) 682-0501
  AEGIS Software Development, Inc.  |  FAX: (713) 623-0030
  12 Greenway Plaza, Suite 1100     |  aegis@netcom.com
  Houston, Texas 77046              |  daleh@ix.netcom.com