1995-02-11 - Privacy vs. Ubiquitous Video: NetCam; Wearable WebCam, etc

Header Data

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2eb47a59bced98394e743fe52a0336be844fd7a530fe2df8ba85755cc31b0885
Message ID: <v01510100ab622813b24d@[199.0.65.105]>
Raw Date: Sat, 11 Feb 95 05:38:43 PST

Raw message

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 95 05:38:43 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Privacy vs. Ubiquitous Video: NetCam; Wearable WebCam, etc

Saw this in technomads. Not necessarily crypto, but certainly privacy related...

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

>Date: Fri, 10 Feb 95 19:11:08 -0500
>From: Steve Mann <steve@media.mit.edu>
>To: technomads@ucsd.edu
>Subject: NetCam; Wearable WebCam, etc
>Cc: steve@media.mit.edu
>

>I am an amateur television (ATV) hobbyist, interested in things like
>driving radio-controlled cars using a head mounted display (HMD)
>(which involves putting myself into the ``usual'' perspective
>of the car), or playing tennis with an HMD linked to a stand
>mounted camera (which is exactly the opposite: the radiocar is
>like a flight simulator from the cockpit, while the tennis example
>is like switching to the ``control tower'').  I've also been
>interested in wearable photographic equipment (such as a wearable
>2400J flashlamp I use for ``lightpainting'').
>
>More recently, I've become interested in sending and receiving
>video (and digital stills) over the WWW (e.g. Wearable WebCam,
>and WebCar -- radiocar on the WWW).
>
>I would like to hear from any other ATV hobbyists, people into
>packet radio, and those interested in wearable cameras, and
>combining wearable cameras with wearable computing.  Another
>application I was interested in was wearable vision (e.g. for
>the visually impaired, or simply to augment the regular human
>visual system).

>to discuss issues related to wearable cameras, as well as communications
>and computation issues associated with wearable cameras.  I am also
>interested in some of the privacy issues associated with wearable
>cameras (as I touch on in http://www-white.media.mit.edu/~steve),
>and the social implications of a society in which there are
>ubiquitous cameras (both wearable and fixed) connected to various
>high speed communications networks.
>
>If you would like to be added to netcam@media.mit.edu, please
>email netcam-request@media.mit.edu
>
>--steve

Robert Hettinga  (rah@shipwright.com) "There is no difference between someone
Shipwright Development Corporation     who eats too little and sees Heaven and
44 Farquhar Street                       someone who drinks too much and sees
Boston, MA 02331 USA                       snakes." -- Bertrand Russell
(617) 323-7923

Thread