1995-02-11 - Does PGP scale well?

Header Data

From: A5113643667@attpls.net (Tom Jones)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (Cypherpunks)
Message Hash: 34079dac2f42c3d8a4db4a7a68ecc6ef93219f944a99b56418fdc04c636453d9
Message ID: <9811968B>
Raw Date: Sat, 11 Feb 95 13:53:51 PST

Raw message

From: A5113643667@attpls.net (Tom Jones)
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 95 13:53:51 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (Cypherpunks)
Subject: Does PGP scale well?

Perry has repeated a litany here that I have been hearing for years on
the pem-dev list with never a hint of a justification.  That is that
PGP does not scale well.

One of the reasons that I consider this to be untrue is my empirical
experience with two groups that are constantly interested in exactly
who I am: the government and the credit bureaus.  They both chose to
use my SSN even though that has all the same attributes of a KeyID,
except that it is somewhat denser.  Now if this is what happens when
the real world tries to identify me, why is the KeyID such a bad way to
identify keys?

Please note that I do understand that identifying me and finding me are
separate issues.  I'm not sure that the pem-dev folk clearly
discriminate these.

Peace. Tom

Thread