1995-02-09 - Re: skronk

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: kipp@warp.mcom.com (Kipp E.B. Hickman)
Message Hash: 51f4f5cfeb45707897101c6d276a06067b903f024ae8dc904bdccc6063fc9e9d
Message ID: <9502091838.AA12032@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <3hdlgr$35a@flop.mcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-02-09 18:39:42 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 9 Feb 95 10:39:42 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 95 10:39:42 PST
To: kipp@warp.mcom.com (Kipp E.B. Hickman)
Subject: Re: skronk

Kipp E.B. Hickman says:
> Har! Besides the certificate problems, are there other problems with
> PEM that have prevented its adoption?

Its kind of ugly, too. The new PEM-MIME stuff should do much better,
but its no longer really PEM per se. Look at the drafts if you are
interested.

> > I don't really blame you much.  I mean TIPEM handles all the X.509
> > stuff just fine and PGP can't get out even the simplest of libraries,
> > or even a partial library.
>
> Our implementation supports this X.509 stuff as well. We don't have a
> DUA yet though...

Just so you know, Kipp, there is no real support for X.500 directories
over the internet, and there never will be. No one likes the things
outside of fogeys in MIS departments who program in Cobol.
Certificates as currently envisioned by the IETF are probably
going to be stored in the DNS.

.pm

Thread