1995-02-03 - Re: The FIREWALL CHIP. U’re phone always offhook?

Header Data

From: SINCLAIR DOUGLAS N <sinclai@ecf.toronto.edu>
To: CCGARY@MIZZOU1.missouri.edu (Gary Jeffers)
Message Hash: 63b46abade3449781a09faff216cc23c9c8e0d4315b7f9cd4d26779e6e1fb5ad
Message ID: <95Feb2.210355edt.6007@cannon.ecf.toronto.edu>
Reply To: <199502022357.SAA28764@bb.hks.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-02-03 02:04:17 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 2 Feb 95 18:04:17 PST

Raw message

From: SINCLAIR  DOUGLAS N <sinclai@ecf.toronto.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 95 18:04:17 PST
To: CCGARY@MIZZOU1.missouri.edu (Gary Jeffers)
Subject: Re: The FIREWALL CHIP. U're phone always offhook?

>    We have potential bugging devices in all our houses - The telephone!
> Of course, when it is onhook, the microphone does not transmit... or
> does it? Would the phone have to be rewired to render it always
> "offhook" or would it be an operation at the central phone company?
> If the present models would have to be rewired, then how about future
> models? Much function is done thru chips & so could many of the models
> on the current market be remote programmable? See the latest issue of
> Mondo 2000.

The Mondo article ("Total Surveillance" by Charles Ostman) was a joke.
Among other things, he claims the Teledesic project is a massive
satellite surveilance scheme.  Those birds are going to be in
geo-synchronous orbit!  What's more, even a LEO spy-sat weighs many
tons.  Nobody could launch 840 satellites of that weight without being
noticed.

From the innacuracies in what I do know about, I assume all of the
phone-paranoia is also unjustified.

Thread