1995-02-03 - Re: VoicePGP cracked in 10 minutes?…

Header Data

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 701dd3394d6d076743e1e009077d3b38b9922ba0bfea2fa585ed5c6cd1d6aca0
Message ID: <9502032249.AA04577@anchor.ho.att.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 3 Feb 95 15:16:13 PST

Raw message

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 95 15:16:13 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: VoicePGP cracked in 10 minutes?...

> > I heard a rumor hear in Ctl. Tx. that the VoicePGP project was cracked in the
> > last couple of days in approx. 10 minutes. Anyone have any info on this other
> > than one of those wild rumors that occur?
>
> Considering that VoicePGP hasn't even been released, this is
> fascinating news. Perhaps the same team could work next on cracking
> things that haven't even been invented yet.

Cracking VoicePGP is easy, since it's still a bones version without
the encryption installed yet - anybody who can figure out where
to get the software should be able to do it.  Might take more than
10 minutes to do that :-)

However, the rumor mostly sounded like a pro-active version of the
"NSA cracked PGP" version of the FBI Modem Tax on Religious Broadcasting
put out by Madeline Murray O'Shergold.

Thread