1995-02-08 - Re: Effects of S.314 (Communications Decency Act)

Header Data

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
To: rah@shipwright.com
Message Hash: 8a3ec18a2547b5ccaa74167417cbef74ed41beaf5c45c971376246a94a6153d9
Message ID: <v01510103ab5eaa4305cf@[199.0.65.105]>
Raw Date: Wed, 8 Feb 95 14:04:36 PST

Raw message

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 95 14:04:36 PST
To: rah@shipwright.com
Subject: Re: Effects of S.314 (Communications Decency Act)

At 12:02 PM 2/8/95, Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl wrote:
>Of course geographic community standards are problematic too with
>telecommunications since postal inspectors from Tennessee can call
>up adult bulletin boards in California...

This reminds me of a joke I finally grew tired of, prescient though it may
have been given current legal events in Tennessee:

        It's illegal in Cambridge to smoke in Boston...

Most non-smokers, especially the reformed-smoker non-smokers, didn't think
that that one-liner was very funny. Most small-l libertarians had a hoot or
too about it though.  (Just like the punchline about how many radical
feminists it takes to screw in a lightbulb [A: That's really *not* funny.])

I guess I'll sit down now...

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga  (rah@shipwright.com) "There is no difference between someone
Shipwright Development Corporation     who eats too little and sees Heaven and
44 Farquhar Street                       someone who drinks too much and sees
Boston, MA 02331 USA                       snakes." -- Bertrand Russell
(617) 323-7923

Thread