1995-02-08 - Re: “encrypt tcp connections” hacks

Header Data

From: Chris Claborne <Chris.Claborne@SanDiego.ATTGIS.COM>
To: entropy@intnet.net
Message Hash: a40686084885ede5216b28cea288545396cac7f677090d197f64854368676ae2
Message ID: <9502072307.aa27535@ncrhub1.ATTGIS.COM>
Raw Date: Tue, 7 Feb 95 20:07:44 PST

Raw message

From: Chris Claborne <Chris.Claborne@SanDiego.ATTGIS.COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 95 20:07:44 PST
To: entropy@intnet.net
Subject: Re: "encrypt tcp connections" hacks

>> Thats because the providers never package things up cleanly. If they
>> sent a client on a disk, a la AOL, and they set things up to
>> autoconfigure, they'd never need to speak to the clients.
>
>    You've obviously never attempted to get a Windows product working for
>someone whose previous experience with a computer is limited to "Solitaire".
>
>    I've done work with this ISP, and I can tell you it's nearly the most
>frustrating experience I've had in my life -- Windows has bizzare
>conflicts with software eating other software, ports getting set up
>wrong, and just general nastiness.  Even the slickest software needs
>helpline time - for whatever reason.

   I hate jumping in when I may be completely off base but...

   NT and (possibly Winodws97) may solve some of this, mainly through better
controll over devices and protected memory. I recently installed some NT
services, HTTP server, and Time Service (to get time off a trusted host).
The HTTP server was installed and working in 5 minutes.  I'm a little more
advanced than the typical "Solitare junky", but I was amazed at the ease of
install and controll that some of this stuff gives you.  I would probably
spend atleast 30+ minutes trying to get them properly installed on my UNIX host.
                                     ...  __o
                                    ..   `\<,
Chris.Claborne@SanDiegoCA.ATTGIS.COM...(_)/(_).            CI$: 76340.2422
PGP Pub Key fingerprint =  A8 FA 55 92 23 20 72 69  52 AB 64 CC C7 D9 4F CA
Available on any Pub Key server.
PGP encrypted mail welcome.

Thread