1995-02-06 - RE: VINGE ON PKE ?

Header Data

From: david.lloyd-jones@canrem.com (David Lloyd-Jones)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: afd215eba539ed18a069a3fb7fd1ea4a76fcb91b1e9524427c576e930befb170
Message ID: <60.19899.6525.0C1CE099@canrem.com>
Reply To: <m0rb1D8-0004IoC@s116.slcslip.indirect.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-02-06 00:16:10 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 5 Feb 95 16:16:10 PST

Raw message

From: david.lloyd-jones@canrem.com (David Lloyd-Jones)
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 95 16:16:10 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: VINGE ON PKE ?

Ed Carp writes:

EC+There is a class of people called "idiot savants" who contain people who can
  +also solve such
  +problems by inspection - their IQs are often much lower than 100, so that
  +blows Albert's theory.  These so-called "idiot savants" can easily factor
  +100 digit numbers.  The ability to solve such problems is not tied to IQ,
  +as there are many such people with IQs of 150+ who cannot solve them.

Many idiot savants can multiply extremely large numbers, though I have
not read of numbers with a hundred digits being involved.  Factoring
large numbers is an extremely different kettle of fish, and I know of
no writing about idiot savants doing difficult factoring.  If you have
references to any such performances, I'd like to read them.

Szent Georgi's remark was addressed to general intelligenc in everyday
life, not to bravura arithmetic.  My scepticism about all things IQish
was supposed to be indicated by my use of quotation marks on "IQ".

                           Cheers,

                                -dlj.

david.lloyd-jones@canrem.com

 * 1st 1.11 #3818 * A piano is a piano is a piano. -- Gertrude Steinway.

Thread