1995-02-06 - Re: finney’s perl scripts

Header Data

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d7df53daa9c82b9320449b07fe3a7e6b91103c99eb2a314c5aa962c07208acd1
Message ID: <199502060603.WAA00621@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 5 Feb 95 22:04:34 PST

Raw message

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 95 22:04:34 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:  finney's perl scripts

From: anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com
> hal , gotta question regarding your perl scripts .
>  i ran em thru sh and d/l'd em , and here are the
> results of my tests . first , i pgp'd a file in
>  binary format , then ran " perl pgppadt.pl
> test.pgp 10 " . the error i got was " Couldn't
>  create test.pgp.pad " . so i renamed the file to
> " test " and tried again with good results ! i got
>  " Input file test has size 732 bytes 10 bytes
> pgppad returns code -3 " . then , iran " perl
>  pgppad.pl test 10 " and after the bit about perl
> running under dos/4gw protected mode , i get dropped
>  to my command prompt . i took a look at the file ,
> and it's size wasn't any different , so i renamed the
>  file to test.pgp and ran it again and got the same
> results . so i guess i'm wonderin' if it added the
>  padding , or what might be the problem ? for your
> info , i'm using perl 4.0.

Unfortunately, my PC's disk died several months ago so I don't have one
right now.

pgppadt.pl sets the output file name with:
open (OUT, ">$ARGV[0].pad") || die ("Couldn't create $ARGV[0].pad\n");

This doesn't work on DOS since it appends .pad to the input file name so
it doesn't fit the 8.3 character format.

The other errors you are getting are probably due to the difference
between binary and ascii I/O mode on DOS.  I forgot about that
in my test script.  Try this revision of pgppadt.pl, and let me know if
it works on DOS:

----------------------cut here------------------------------
# Test program for pgppad.pl, showing how to use it.
# Revised 2/5/95 for DOS legality
# Usage: perl pgppadt.pl infile <bytes-to-add>
# Output file is infile, stripped of extensions, with .pad appended.

require 'pgppad.pl';

open (IN, $ARGV[0]) || die ("Couldn't open $ARGV[0]\n");
$outfile = $ARGV[0];
$outfile =~ s/\..*//;
open (OUT, ">$outfile.pad") || die ("Couldn't create $outfile.pad\n");
binmode IN;
binmode OUT;

$padding = $ARGV[1];

@stat = stat(IN);
$size = $stat[7];
print "Input file $ARGV[0] has size $size bytes\n";
print "Output file $outfile.pad will have size ",$size+$padding," bytes\n";

if (($code = &pgppad (IN, OUT, $size+$padding)) < 0) {
    die ("pgppad returns code $code\n");
}

close (IN);
close (OUT);