1995-02-13 - Re: Is Cyberspace Rich Enough?

Header Data

From: “Wei Dai” <weidai@eskimo.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fc137353eb687ea65ec417f1cfdd1a41477d0a76828db44d8df30d867b0fc6d3
Message ID: <199502132106.AA22391@mail.eskimo.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 13 Feb 95 13:07:01 PST

Raw message

From: "Wei Dai" <weidai@eskimo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 95 13:07:01 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Is Cyberspace Rich Enough?

> That theme is this: Is cyberspace, or the Net/Web/Etc., sufficiently
> rich or complex to meet our needs?

 [deleted]

> Consider how the abstractions of the World Wide Web, URLs, HTML, HTTP,
> and Web browsers have *increased the size of cyberspace* rather
> dramatically in just the past two years. More places to visit, more
> interconnectedness, more difficulties in controlling access to stuff,
> etc. Home pages containing banned material are proliferating (a la the
> Homolka-Teale ritualistic cannibalism trial in Canada, the Scientology
> material, and so on--this is not the place for me to recap this).
> Sure, ftp sites used to do this pretty well; in fact, I'm considering
> ftp sites in this "evolution" toward greater complexity (in the
> richness sense).

I agree that cyberspace is certainly becoming more complex and
interconnected.  However, just as a complex ecosystem is not necessarily
more stable than a simple one, and a complex cipher is not necessarily
more secure than a simple one, greater complexity in cyberspace does not
necessarily imply that it is less vulnerable to to centralized control.

[more stuff deleted]

> What Cypherpunks should be pushing for, in my view, is this increased
> dimensionality. More places to stick things, more places to escape
> central control, and more degrees of freedom (which has a nice dual
> meaning I once used as the working title for a novel I was working
> on).

But if you wanted to exert greater control over others, you would also
be pushing for increased dimensionality, because that shrinks the world
and moves everyone closer to you.  If you look at history, increased
connectivity has always been necessary for increased central control.
What I am saying is that increased connectivity alone does not
necessarily favor decentralization.  What makes the difference is the
details -- the nature of the connectivity.

> Is Cyberspace already rich enough (= high enough dimensionality) so
> that central control cannot be reestablished (to the extent it ever
> existed)?
>
> Many of this think that it probably already is past this point, that
> the "point of no return" has been reached. After all, the Soviets
> couldn't stop samizdats, the Chinese couldn't stop fax machines, and
> the Americans can't stop drug use, so what hope is there in
> controlling modems, crypto, cellular phones, satellites, Web links,
> stegonography, terabytes of data flowing unobstructed across borders,
> and so on. Just to "stop the Net" would disrupt the entire financial
> system, which not even Clinton or the next (Republican) President
> would be tempted to do....they might as well launch a nuclear war as
> try to shut down this "anarchic" ( = high dimensionality) system.

I'm not quite so optimistic.  One way to control a distributed system
such as the Internet would be to use a distributed method.  I.e., use
something like the Internet Worm, but a thousand times subtler and more
powerful.  There is no need for them to "stop the Net", just to subvert
a substantial part of it.

Wei Dai

E-mail: Wei Dai <weidai@eskimo.com>   URL: "http://www.eskimo.com/~weidai"
=================== Exponential Increase of Complexity ===================
--> singularity --> atoms --> macromolecules --> biological evolution
--> central nervous systems --> symbolic communication --> homo sapiens
--> digital computers --> internetworking --> close-coupled automation
--> broadband brain-to-net connections --> artificial intelligence
--> distributed consciousness --> group minds --> ? ? ?

Thread