1995-07-24 - Re: Exporting from Canada (was Re: Let’s try breaking an SSL RC4 key)

Header Data

From: “M. Plumb” <mp@io.org>
To: aba@atlas.ex.ac.uk
Message Hash: 21ffe7a55aea8080cee4591402814962546dc1a049ab70db2480bb38c05f4558
Message ID: <199507241415.KAA26817@wink.io.org>
Reply To: <12071.9507111559@exe.dcs.exeter.ac.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-24 14:20:40 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 24 Jul 95 07:20:40 PDT

Raw message

From: "M. Plumb" <mp@io.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 95 07:20:40 PDT
To: aba@atlas.ex.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Exporting from Canada (was Re: Let's try breaking an SSL RC4 key)

Sorry for taking so long to respond to this.

I have been checking out the Canadian rules for exporting crypto.
Basically (according to "A Guide to Canada's Export Controls",
published by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International
Trade) public domain software can be exported from Canada -- one
might need to file a form with Canadian Customs for each export,
but the export it self is legal. (Public domain is defined as
technology that has been made available without restrictions upon
it's further dissemination. Copyright restrictions do not remove
technology from the public domain. So, I'm not quite sure if PGP
falls within that definition.)

However, goods of U.S. origin are export restricted, unless said
goods are further processed outside the U.S. so as to result in a
substantial change in value, so some of the PGP development would
need to be done in Canada.
--
	-marc

Thread