1995-07-14 - Re: Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act of 1995 (fwd)

Header Data

From: Andrew.Spring@ping.be (Andrew Spring)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3a863b07521fa6931e2ae47154b4fe0e05f4ff2d91cb44622a379624610e7ed5
Message ID: <v01510103ac2b52dbb0ac@[193.74.217.16]>
Raw Date: Fri, 14 Jul 95 11:05:38 PDT

Raw message

From: Andrew.Spring@ping.be (Andrew Spring)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 95 11:05:38 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act of 1995 (fwd)

>Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 15:28:25 -0400
>Subject: Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act of 1995
>

>      "(2) to distribute computer software that encodes or encrypts
>    electronic or digital communications to computer networks that the
>    person distributing knows, or reasonably should know, is accessible to
>    foreign nationals and foreign governments, regardless of whether such
>    software has been designated nonexportable."

Christ, these guys are so predictable.  What do want to bet that the last
clause of that paragraph was put in, just so it could be taken out?

Netscape, Apple, Novell et al testify before Congress; complain that their
crippled crypto has already been approved for export; they'll lose so much
money in sales, blah blah blah.  Grassley smiles for the camera, says "I'm
a reasonable man", strikes out the last clause.

Isn't democracy wonderful?

--
Thank you VERY much!  You'll be getting a Handsome Simulfax Copy of your
OWN words in the mail soon (and My Reply).

Thread