1995-07-27 - Challenge-response passwords (Was: big word listing)

Header Data

From: Phil Fraering <pgf@tyrell.net>
To: perry@imsi.com
Message Hash: 7f232501cbaf566ee76bea5cd7d7daed5e3342dd37c65b17c56a4f0e347adee8
Message ID: <199507262348.AA23992@tyrell.net>
Reply To: <9507261952.AA28574@snark.imsi.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-27 00:01:12 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 26 Jul 95 17:01:12 PDT

Raw message

From: Phil Fraering        <pgf@tyrell.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 95 17:01:12 PDT
To: perry@imsi.com
Subject: Challenge-response passwords (Was: big word listing)

   Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 15:52:36 -0400
   From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>

   Given all the prior art, I have a solid suspicion that the patent
   wouldn't hold up. The existance of the publically published Diffie
   Hellman patent, for instance, makes it rather hard to patent the
   more general case.

   Perry

Does anyone know if that patent on distributed file systems that was
filed in '82 and granted sometime recently held up in court?

The last I heard the guy was going around collecting royalty payments
from large companies unwilling to go to court anyway.

Is this the sort of thing it's easier for a small company to challenge
than a big company?

Phil

Thread