1995-07-23 - Re: The end of public key cryptography as we know it?

Header Data

From: chen@intuit.com (Mark Chen)
To: pgf@tyrell.net (Phil Fraering)
Message Hash: 8ecb8b9ade4069c85fc9066e9dd0fcd92675e98b91867047f2571a5214fc4ed9
Message ID: <9507230539.AA18257@doom.intuit.com>
Reply To: <199507132009.AA15283@tyrell.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-23 05:41:57 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 22 Jul 95 22:41:57 PDT

Raw message

From: chen@intuit.com (Mark Chen)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 95 22:41:57 PDT
To: pgf@tyrell.net (Phil Fraering)
Subject: Re: The end of public key cryptography as we know it?

Phil,

>    An article posted on sci.crypt stated that quantum factoring
>    is real and that an article was posted in this month's Science
>    magazine. The author of the post says this would make factoring
>    a 10 bit number the same time as factoring a 100000000 bit number.
>
> You can bet your ass and your mother's and grandmother's donatable
> organs that if this were possible, then the legislative initiatives
> currently underway would not be: they'd just let us use RSA and get
> a false sense of security.
>
>    A wonder how long it is before every major government in the world
>    has one of these. Makes RSA's future kind of moot doesn't it??
>
> Well, it would probably "prove" many-worlds right: in which case
> we're probably going to be invaded from the one where the Nazis
> won WWII, or the libertarians won Shay's Rebellion.

Yuk yuk. :>

A minor adjustment to your comment: I haven't read the work yet, but
if it's based on Shor and Simon, it only "proves" the existence of
state superpositions (and perhaps some other mathematical things
relating to the construction of unitary transforms) - a fact equally
congenial to Many Worlds, Copenhagen, von Neumann, and most other
interpretations of quantum mechanics.  The only people who would
likely be upset by this are the neo-materialists and other
hidden-variable fetishists.

I'm six hundred messages behind and not likely to catch up soon, so
apologies if this has already been covered.

   - Mark -

--
Mark Chen
chen@intuit.com