1995-07-19 - Re: Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act of 1995 (fwd)

Header Data

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@escape.com>
To: Jon Lasser <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>
Message Hash: 952064d3faa67b2f4020990bf4b650a7149e9e615b4dac6101b680060616d654
Message ID: <Pine.BSD/.3.91.950719174435.21971F-100000@escape.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950713175807.25319A-100000@rwd.goucher.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-19 22:06:39 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 19 Jul 95 15:06:39 PDT

Raw message

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@escape.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 95 15:06:39 PDT
To: Jon Lasser <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>
Subject: Re: Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act of 1995 (fwd)

On Thu, 13 Jul 1995, Jon Lasser wrote:

> How about "not respecting international copyright law, and not having
> extradition treaties with the US" ... set up a data haven, we now know
> why we need it soon... charge by the Kbyte, automate the billing, and relax.

Seriously bad for my financial health.  I write code for a living (though
I'm a Netware LAN Admin in this incarnation of a job.)  Going somewhere
where I can't make money writing code because 10 billion folks will have
it after one pays is my idea of jumping out of the microwave oven into
the boiling lobster stew.  :-)

If such systems would be maintenance free, it would be cool going around
place to place installing data heaven servers all over the place.

Hell a 1Gb hard drive is only $350 or so.  A cheap XT, or lap top hooked
upto such a drive, say 4Mb of RAM and a 28.8Kbps modem would be good enough.
Say some junky assed machine no more than $500 a pop...

I would guess we could get a small enough package to hide in say... under
the subway tunnels, or in the sewer system, and hook'em up to existing
power lines....  Now if we could hook'em up to a phone line easily, it
would be a great thing to have.  But how do you hook into the phone line
without the local MaBell getting interested?

Enough of these things hooked up all over the place would be cool.
Everyone can ftp to the server, write or read, but nobody can delete.
When the drive is full, the server goes read only.   Instant (free) data
heaven.  Get a few million of these up, and hey, you've got instant,
unstopable info servers.  Very hard for any government to catch all of these.

On the other end of el-spectrum d'data heaven is the pay service.  You
upload, you pay $5 a meg, I burn your megs on the CD.  You want the data
back, you pay me $50 a meg and I make it available again.  :-) You'll be
rolling in cash in no time.  I don't need to know who you are or what
files you sent me.  Just tell me the date and time stamp of the file my
server got your file and after I get the $50, you get to download the file.

Pay me in cash, e-cash, or no-name money-orders. :-)

Excellent business, no?  Hell, you could probably set something like this
up in the USA right now...  Even more easily with a 1-900-$5/minute number.
As long as what you send me is something I can't see, I don't have any
risk and neither do you.  Or you can snail mail me a 1.44Mb floppy with a
special file name and I'll take the post_mark date and the file name and
your $5 and burn it on the CD.

Expensive enough to keep pirates away, cheap enough to make corporate
data worth backing up remotely.

Cost: ~$10K or so...

 Good pentium server running Linux $2K, 28.8Kbps modems ~$220
 each, need no more than 2Gb of hard drive space... (650 of which you set
aside for the CD burning.)
 CD Burner ~$1700.
 blank CD's for $8 a piece in volume, etc.

 Good sized data-grade fire proof safe $????

You can hire high school kids to burn the CD's in or your relatives, or
do it yourself.  Very nice setup.

=================================================================93=======
 + ^ + |  Ray Arachelian | Amerika: The land of the Freeh. | \-_    _-/  |
  \|/  |sunder@escape.com| Where day by day, yet another   |  \  --  /   |
<--+-->|                 | Constitutional right vanishes.  |6 _\-  -/_  6|
 + v + | "No" to the NSA!| Jail the censor, not the author!|     \/      |
      /  I watched and weeped as the Exon bill passed, knowing that yet /
     / another freedom vanished before my eyes.  How soon before we see/
    /a full scale dictatorship in the name of decency? While the rest /
   /of_the_world_fights_FOR_freedom,_our_gov'ment_fights_our_freedom_/

Thread