1995-07-31 - Re: The Net (short movie review)

Header Data

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com (Bill Stewart)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 962779bace0f351f9711847b0592b759e2c23d87b1194fba2688f5ae5902700a
Message ID: <199507310856.BAA09839@ix7.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 31 Jul 95 01:58:41 PDT

Raw message

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com (Bill Stewart)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 95 01:58:41 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The Net (short movie review)

At 10:33 AM 7/29/95 -0400, Robert Hettinga wrote:
>At 3:04 AM 7/29/95, Joel McNamara wrote:
>>Don't bother.  Better to wait until it hits the video shelves then have a
>>party and see who can find the most (of many) technical flaws and gaffs.
>>Would be much more entertaining in that context.
>
>Agreed. In television interviews Ms. Bullock talks about how she's "on the
>net all the time" while in further conversation it's clear that all she
>does is hang out in AOL auditoria and chat-rooms, probably with some
>net.flack at her elbow....

So good for her.  I've spent most of the evening chatting on cypherpunks and
cyberia
rather than writing code....  Some recent survey found that 60% of time that
average folks spend on the net is communications rather than information
retrieval.

I rather enjoyed the movie, though I did share the experience of being
one of the two or three people in the theater laughing at various technical
gaffes and/or in-jokes.  Obviously, you can't take anything from Hollywood too
seriously technically, but they did look at a few social issues related to
computerisation, such as the isolation, computer addiction, lack of face-to-face
relationships, difficulty in knowing what's real when everything's on the
computer,
vulnerability of society to computer problems, trustability of people who
tell you
that you can trust their computer security system for everything - even the
government uses it!   So they didn't look into them too deeply - they're
Hollywood.
That's not their job :-)  Also, I like Sandra Bullock, and I think her acting
pulled the movie together more than the script did.
#---
#                                Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, Freelance Information Architect, stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# Phone +1-510-247-0664 Pager/Voicemail 1-408-787-1281
#---
# Export PGP three lines a time --> http://dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/export/
M0V]N9W)E<W,@<VAA;&P@;6%K92!N;R!L87<@+BXN(&%B<FED9VEN9R!T:&4@
M9G)E961O;2!O9B!S<&5E8V@L(&]R(&]F('1H92!P<F5S<SL-"F]R('1H92!R