1995-07-17 - Re: The Recent Flurry of Anit-Crypto Activity… Why?

Header Data

From: nobody@flame.alias.net (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a1d3a9fdd23f36f34a58551ff807cc0b186f7471976f502dafb15905ee2ac948
Message ID: <199507170016.CAA19393@utopia.hacktic.nl>
Reply To: <3u6oj5$fir@nntp.crl.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-17 00:16:33 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 16 Jul 95 17:16:33 PDT

Raw message

From: nobody@flame.alias.net (Anonymous)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 95 17:16:33 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The Recent Flurry of Anit-Crypto Activity... Why?

from 'Buzz White':

> More to the point, the question  "Why Now?" comes to my mind.
>
> So, I posit that this legislative swirl is an attempt to squash true "crypto
> for the masses" (via real commercial integration) before it gets out "into
> the world".
>
> Anybody have a better analysis of the "Why Now" part of the question?

Good theory, but I think the major reason is more obvious. We have
elected "representatives", led by a complete slimeball president, that
want to usurp every bit of liberty we have. Money, soul, healthcare,
private property, you name it. The sooner they can grab it, the more
completely they can control us. Crypto, digicash, and remailers work
against their attempts, so they try to stop them. The more they want
something from us, the stronger our effort must be not to let them have
it. They think we need their "help" to live our lives, and that without
we would be helpless. They think we're all like those pathetic people in
LA who had no clue what to do with their welfare checks when check cashing
stores were torched during the Rod-knee King Bar-B-Q and Block Party. The
sad part is that as more and more people are absorbed into the welfare
state, fewer remain to assert our right to personal liberty and our
right "to be left alone". We're likely to lose by attrition.

Thread