1995-07-15 - Unix not the Only Place for “Vanguard” Applications

Header Data

From: Phil Fraering <pgf@tyrell.net>
To: tcmay@sensemedia.net
Message Hash: aa463a5adfbfe8a844d8bf5eab3a3ba07c6ddb8d3017305fa0cb1f66d52a1f9b
Message ID: <199507152320.AA05094@tyrell.net>
Reply To: <ac2d93b913021004f19f@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-15 23:25:04 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 15 Jul 95 16:25:04 PDT

Raw message

From: Phil Fraering        <pgf@tyrell.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 95 16:25:04 PDT
To: tcmay@sensemedia.net
Subject: Unix not the Only Place for "Vanguard" Applications

   Frankly, Unix fragmented into a bunch of pieces. Maybe it was because of
   the USL-Novell-AT&T-Sun-Unix International-etc. battles (I don't even
   recollect who was who in this battle). Maybe it was the News vs. X vs.
   OpenLook vs. NeXTStep vs. etc. user interface battles.

Well, it looks like there will be a major Unix mainstream again
with two branches capable of more-or-less running each other's
binaries without too much pain: FreeBSD and Linux.

   In any case, I expect Windows (and Windows NT) will take an ever-increasing
   share of the market for at least the next several years. I'm hardly alone
   in this expectation.

BTW, I hear Linux can now run Windows 3.1 in its DOS box.

Phil

Thread