1995-07-12 - Re: Don’t trust the net too much

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: Doug Hughes <Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU>
Message Hash: d053ca1cb1434258336b4bae02b0b2141b07965a164ea9b01e0eb670fa4971f6
Message ID: <9507121505.AA10601@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <doug-9506121459.AA0062320@netman.eng.auburn.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-12 15:06:22 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 12 Jul 95 08:06:22 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 95 08:06:22 PDT
To: Doug Hughes <Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU>
Subject: Re: Don't trust the net too much

Doug Hughes writes:

> Hmm.. I'm not sure I'd want to stand too close when one of those
> things goes off, but it would be an interesting demo. :)
>
> Maybe behind an EM shield.. ;)

What is it, exactly, that you imagine could happen to you? You realize
that you can expose humans to pretty powerful electromagnetic fields
without any noticable effect unless the frequency happens to be one
that their tissues absorb.

> I think there was a question of some microelectronics being permenently
> damaged because of fusion at the MOS level (burning through the
> gate),

To do that requires that you transfer energy from your device into the
computer you are attacking. How do you propose to do that?

.pm

Thread