1995-07-31 - Re: Zimmermann legal fund

Header Data

From: nsb@nsb.fv.com
To: “James A. Donald” <aba@atlas.ex.ac.uk
Message Hash: d06e713fcbff88c16f6e411a18c474c0f9df9c27dd70799263b1b462439e5b29
Message ID: <9507311625.AB06469@ nsb.fv.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 31 Jul 95 09:48:28 PDT

Raw message

From: nsb@nsb.fv.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 95 09:48:28 PDT
To: "James A. Donald" <aba@atlas.ex.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Zimmermann legal fund

At  3:24 PM 7/30/95 -0700, James A. Donald wrote:
>If you insist that international transactions be mediated through
>US banks, you are cutting your throat.

I hope my mail didn't give the impression that we are "insisting" on this.
It's a matter of technical expedience at the moment, that's all.  Non-US
sellers who really want to use FV can do so today IF they get a US bank
account.  Payout through non-US banks is definitely something we plan to
do, but you can't build a business today on our plans for tomorrow,
especially since we don't have a firm target date.

One of the relatively easiest alternatives we have discussed is good old
fashioned paper checks.  We could *conceivably* (this is not a promise!)
set up a system to pay non-US sellers by mailing them paper checks.  This
is a fairly expensive process, and we'd have to pass on the costs to the
sellers in the form of a service charge for the mailing, and there would be
postal delays, and there would be a delay waiting for your local bank to
clear a US check.  Is this appealing?  -- Nathaniel

Thread