1995-07-19 - Re: SurfWatch for employees (ugh)

Header Data

From: klbarrus@infocom.net (Karl L. Barrus)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d68435ba8ea7195695651e7a945c3f843366c8ce0f7348d1c5841d920094e9cd
Message ID: <199507190359.WAA08094@infocom.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 18 Jul 95 20:57:34 PDT

Raw message

From: klbarrus@infocom.net (Karl L. Barrus)
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 95 20:57:34 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: SurfWatch for employees (ugh)

>Webster Network Strategies has announced (but apparently has not
>shipped) a product similar to SurfWatch but aimed at an employment
>environment. The product is called "WebTrack" and supposedly supports
>access lists of URLs, where access can be allowed to "all but these sites"
>or "only to these sites". The product also can be configured to log all
>Web usage by users subjected to its reign of terror. :)

Well, I know there are already products like this out there, because the
company I work for uses one.

I was helping my boss/project lead figure out why he couldn't establish an
account on the penet anonymous server, and in the process of phone calls to
various people, we discovered that the anonymous server at penet is blocked
from our site, and also that every web connection is logged.

Actually, I have no problem with this, even if they restrict usenet feed to
the comp heirarchy, restrict web activity to a list of approved sites, log
all they want to, etc.  That's why I got a seperate account.

--
Karl L. Barrus <klbarrus@infocom.net>

Thread