1995-08-22 - Re: True Names and Webs of Trust

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: patl@lcs.mit.edu
Message Hash: 30b45c6908b4571537b965fd2608c113cfac1b50f77edad63d3aba8ad5717c60
Message ID: <ac5f51e317021004ef44@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Tue, 22 Aug 95 09:18:43 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 95 09:18:43 PDT
To: patl@lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: True Names and Webs of Trust

At 2:46 PM 8/22/95, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:

> tcmay> As Bill Stewart correctly claimed is my view, the "key is the
> tcmay> identity."  Or, more accurately, a _persistent personna_ is
> tcmay> what matters.
>
>These discussions are missing the entire point of the Web of Trust.
>
>Key signatures exist for one reason and one reason only: To thwart
>man-in-the-middle attacks.  Whether your "persistent persona" is a
>True Name (tm) or a pseudonym is irrelevant.

But this is exactly what a persistent personna is. Not a True Name, but a
keyholder who has not been spoofed by some other agent or entity.

End to end.

--Tim May