1995-08-30 - More Disintermediation

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 338814e554b97bc2036a0b99473774e9aaeabecdaf27f0997efa37440d109935
Message ID: <199508301433.KAA04944@panix.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Aug 95 07:35:22 PDT

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 95 07:35:22 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: More Disintermediation

According to Monday's USA Today, the Customs Service has come up with a plan
to stop stopping international travelers arriving at US airports.
Apparently they can't afford "personal" service any more.  With 60 million
arrivals, Customs has decided to mingle a bit in luggage claim, look for
those meeting its profiles, and use drug- and food-sniffing dogs to catch
smugglers.

Note that international travel has doubled in the last few years.  What is
Customs (and La Migra) going to do when it doubles again.  It is much easier
for market phenomenons like this to double or triple than it is for
government agencies to double or triple.

Markets scale well.  Governments don't.

DCF

"When foreigners steal 'our' jobs, our labor is freed for other tasks and
total world product increases.  Jobs can no more 'run out' than desire for
things in general can 'run out'."

Thread