1995-08-11 - Re: More “S-1” foolishness

Header Data

From: Jeff Barber <jeffb@sware.com>
To: mab@crypto.com (Matt Blaze)
Message Hash: 495df205619c37571ef3c674390b1fde95b35e9ad3daab90d26eb822bb962c81
Message ID: <9508111333.AA05740@wombat.sware.com>
Reply To: <199508102043.QAA17280@crypto.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-11 13:33:20 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 11 Aug 95 06:33:20 PDT

Raw message

From: Jeff Barber <jeffb@sware.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 95 06:33:20 PDT
To: mab@crypto.com (Matt Blaze)
Subject: Re: More "S-1" foolishness

Matt Blaze writes:

> Yesterday I mentioned that I'd noticed that "S-1" has a non-uniform
> distribution of F (Sbox?) outputs - some values appear far more often
> than others.  This means that some values are more likely to be XORed
> against the cleartext than others.  Needless to say, this is a very
> unusual (and presumably very bad) property - in DES, for example, the
> Sbox outputs are completely flat.

If it is Skipjack, that would sure explain why they didn't want to
release the source code, eh?  Maybe there was more than one "back door".

-- Jeff

Thread