1995-08-02 - Re: Pat Robertson Fears E-cash?

Header Data

From: Michael Handler <grendel@netaxs.com>
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 7297527a77767ba3207d24a0d76412c00eb23dc04e5af86faeac47111ee7f165
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950802000010.21825D-100000@unix1.netaxs.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Aug 95 21:14:43 PDT

Raw message

From: Michael Handler <grendel@netaxs.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 95 21:14:43 PDT
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Pat Robertson Fears E-cash?

John Young:
| A Foxhole-atheist swears Pat Robertson said last night that his
| new book warns of a "digital cash society" and massive
| theft by cyber-criminals. Did any believer hear this, or
| know if this is what he prognosticates for e-cash bedevilment?

----- BEGIN EXCERPT -----
The 700 Club, March 8, 1995, 10:00 -- 11:30 AM

[ ... ]

PAT ROBERTSON: OK. Well, ladies and gentlemen, something a little bit
more serious. You know, the Bible talks about a day when people won't be
able to buy or sell except having a mark; a mark of what is called the
beast. It's one of those things in Relevation that keeps coming up. Well,
as technology increases, we see a little bit -- a little bit more. Now
we've got digital cash that may on the way to your wallet, a card you can
use for any kind of purchase, from health care to road tolls to
pay-per-view TV. But are there hidden security dangers in this
computerized wonder card? We've got a special report on this program. You
don't want to miss it.

[ ... ]

ROBERTSON: Now that man [David Chaum!] is Jewish. I don't know whether
he's speaking out of Relevations or not, but that is the scenario set
forth ... in Relevation, that the -- the -- the cards are too -- too
valuable to be lost, which means that -- that there has to be some other
identification. And we just were speaking, prior to the program, about
the possibility of, indeed, a tattoo that would carry -- just tiny little
dots would carry -- all the information that is needed could be put on
somebody's hand or wherever. It's -- it's that close, really. ... We've
got a few years to go, but I -- I -- I -- I'm just -- and -- and the --
the -- the justification for all this is, `Well, we can't have people
dealing drugs.' So let's -- in order to cut the drug dealers, let's take
away the freedom and privacy of every other human being on the face of
the earth, and that is a frightening prospect.

[ ... ]

----- END EXCERPT ----

There's more, like an interview with David Chaum and Dave Banisar [EPIC],
but I've got raw calluses on my hands, so I'm not doing any more typing
tonight. ;-)

PS to JYA: Communique top secret postal address / telephone facsimile
machine access codes for possible transmittance of relevant sections for
scanning and automatic distribution to the CP list via usual methods?
Remember to use HyperMIME backchannel DC-net OTP public key MOST SECRET
secret-shared subliminal-signature encoding methods to prevent
intellectual property gestapo from homing in on location of Rebel base,
no? ;-)
--
Michael Handler      | Cypherpunks: Civil Liberty through Complex Mathematics
handler@sub-rosa.com |

Thread