1995-08-19 - Re: Certificates/Anonymity/Policy/True Names

Header Data

From: Richard.Johnson@Colorado.EDU (Richard Johnson)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7b0e3308c61828f9cc1eccd9a45a78d3100c56ca4439a9f4fcfdeff2d17be404
Message ID: <v02130505ac5c202162f8@[199.117.100.12]>
Raw Date: Sat, 19 Aug 95 16:19:59 PDT

Raw message

From: Richard.Johnson@Colorado.EDU (Richard Johnson)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 95 16:19:59 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Certificates/Anonymity/Policy/True Names

The certificate gets their messages into systems that demand a
certification, whether for transport or display.

>But this is precisely the issue: what does the *certificate* get any of
>these people that a simple digital signature does not provide?
>
>On Sat, 19 Aug 1995, Rich Salz wrote:
>
>> I think there are many people who might be willing to use an
>> "anon CA" should it exist:
>>       Whistleblowers, perhaps Deep Throat would have used email
>>       People writing letters to the editor who don't want to trust
>>               the editor to withhold their info
>>       People who desire anonymyity yet don't want to trust the gov't
>>               to certify their communications as authentic/forged
>>               (Unabomber, Om Shin-rkyo)
>>       Any number of writers who have used psuedonyms and now want to
>>               get paid in ecash; Mark Twain?

Thread