1995-08-21 - ENE_mah

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 94ca37390f50ff3c39907c61afdf1a3a5a4bb7f6c6c278cb17e71389bdc176c8
Message ID: <199508211622.MAA03823@pipe2.nyc.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Aug 95 09:31:07 PDT

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 95 09:31:07 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: ENE_mah

   8-21-95. NYPaper:

   "C.I.A. Re-examines Hiring Of Ex-Terrorist as Agent: Agency
   Has Misgivings About Some on Payroll."

      As the Central Intelligence Agency cleans house after
      the cold war, trimming its roster of foreign agents and
      writing new rules for hiring them, a retired terrorist
      who was until recently on the agency's payroll has given
      it cause for some soul-searching. The case is a classic
      example of the dilemma the C.I.A. continually faces in
      recruiting foreign agents. The intelligence agency
      struggles to balance the demand to obtain information
      with its desire to keep its own hands clean, though it
      frames the issue in terms of national security, not
      morality. The C.I.A. will draw on the experience of the
      Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Drug Enforcement
      Administration in dealing with informants in the future.
That
      is a break from the past; the agency has long considered
      law enforcement procedures an enema.

   ENE_mah

Thread