1995-08-08 - Re: Triple-DES controlled?

Header Data

From: hallam@w3.org
To: Rich Salz <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 995ec535b0f9498a6b8634e17860e120e80a9fb7f4f515b6d27713f93a23344e
Message ID: <9508081531.AA20316@zorch.w3.org>
Reply To: <9508080402.AA02918@sulphur.osf.org>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-08 15:37:19 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Aug 95 08:37:19 PDT

Raw message

From: hallam@w3.org
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 95 08:37:19 PDT
To: Rich Salz <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Triple-DES controlled?

>>I have not heard of export licenses being granted for 3DES.

>Didn't the ANSI financial committee just adopt 3DES (over NSA
>objections)?  Presumably they consider the export situation solved/solvable.

There is absolutely no difficulty obtaining cryptographic aparatus outside the
US. I had an entire distribution of PEM and X500 that was entirely written
outside the US.

DES is avaliable from many sources, there are many tripple DES products
avaliable.

It is not impossible to get export licenses, there have been several issued for
DES for financial applications.

If the US wants to be cut out of the market for financial services software
thats up to them. Non US citizens can write crypto code as well, the British
crypto tradition is far longer than the US one for example.

	Phill

Thread