1995-08-27 - Re: Demagnetizing

Header Data

From: Man In Black <mib@davinci.netaxis.com>
To: Tobin T Fricke <dr261@cleveland.Freenet.Edu>
Message Hash: a5c23186a142a49db82ebaa8cfc87f2415bcdc154da4fada2bcc9a5f5d0494df
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.950827041448.24279A-100000@davinci.netaxis.com>
Reply To: <199508270637.CAA03863@kanga.INS.CWRU.Edu>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-27 08:18:55 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 27 Aug 95 01:18:55 PDT

Raw message

From: Man In Black <mib@davinci.netaxis.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 95 01:18:55 PDT
To: Tobin T Fricke <dr261@cleveland.Freenet.Edu>
Subject: Re: Demagnetizing

On Sun, 27 Aug 1995, Tobin T Fricke wrote:

> How exactly does that system work?  They can't instantly
> demagnetize something with a quick tap on a pad, can they? Also,
> what are they demagnetizing?  Is it a strip embedded in the spine
> of the book, or is it just in a sticker on the outside? For
> instance, how do they do it to magazines (or do they? they
> go through the process with magazines, too, or is that just
> because they don't know better?)?

The way the system works at my local library is that there _is_ a strip
embedded in the spine and it isn't demagnetized by a quick tap by rubbing
it several times over a demagnetizer (there's a big sticker on the side
that says not to leave any magnetic storage media near it).   As far as
magazines go, my library simply doesn't let people borrow them (which
means if it ain't there, it's stolen).  Anyone know how they protect
against magazine theft (okay, no crypto relevance.  reply to me and not
the list, then).  Later.

Thread