1995-08-25 - Re: Cypherpunk Brute Squad [Re: SSL Challenge: Server problems]

Header Data

From: Piete Brooks <Piete.Brooks@cl.cam.ac.uk>
To: “J. R. Valverde (EMBL Outstation: the EBI)” <txomsy@ebi.ac.uk>
Message Hash: a907e6bbba27abca4a84aaccee6cde7012fa3702a8f6984ccee6625cb68f79ab
Message ID: <“swan.cl.cam.:196070:950825215208”@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Reply To: <199508252041.VAA01686@neptune.ebi.ac.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-25 21:52:29 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 25 Aug 95 14:52:29 PDT

Raw message

From: Piete Brooks <Piete.Brooks@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 95 14:52:29 PDT
To: "J. R. Valverde (EMBL Outstation: the EBI)" <txomsy@ebi.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Cypherpunk Brute Squad [Re: SSL Challenge: Server problems]

> Server timing problem: Goodbye unknown -- you have been timed out
> which I assume is a message from the server telling me it's too loaded,

No -- it means that you were taking too long to respond, so it timed you out.

> No input when expecting an ACK line
> which sound even worst... I've been having trouble getting keys all the
> afternoon now, what a pity.

brclient -k failed to get any keys, so brutessl didn't generate any output,
so brclient -A didn't get any input :-(

Latest brloop should avoid this by not calling brutessl if brclient -k failed
and also not calling brclient -A if brutessl didn't run / failed.

> BTW, the versions I'm running now are brloop 0.05 and brclient 0.16 and
> since I'm in Cambridgeshire-UK too, with a 2Mbps link, I doubt that the
> timeout is due to congestion on the net.

Well, the problem with brclient 0.16 was that a "go faster" stripe made it
go *too* fast if local, perl losses data, so it times out :-((

> Any suggestions? Or is it only the overload in the server that's giving
> me nightmares?

Kind of -- slow clients hogging the single threaded (idle) server :-((

Thread