1995-08-22 - Re: Netscape security

Header Data

From: Eric Young <eay@mincom.oz.au>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bd34aa65d205f03f10cf24061baaad65bb5d29b3e46d9355359003bc1b44c1d1
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.950822102640.19364A-100000@orb>
Reply To: <9508211902.AA19391@couchey.inria.fr>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-22 00:51:03 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Aug 95 17:51:03 PDT

Raw message

From: Eric Young <eay@mincom.oz.au>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 95 17:51:03 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Netscape security

On Mon, 21 Aug 1995, Damien Doligez wrote:
> >From: altitude@cic.net (Alex Tang)
> >It seems that one of the problems with Damien's
> >cracking job was that it  was "not sanctioned".
>
> Actually, INRIA's PR people are quite pleased with the publicity.
> They asked me to prepare an official press release to counteract the
> Wall Street Journal's "evil hacker" story, which was unfortunately
> reprinted by some papers.  The Herald Tribune is particularly bad in
> this respect.

Yes, this is all quite silly.  For my part, I've implemented SSL on my
work machines (in my own time) and released it under my own copyright
and my boses don't mind (mind you, I'm not trying to make money from the
code).  I've participated in trying to break the 40bit
key on work machines (using only idle machines) and they don't mind.
I've run network raytracing programs (using only idle machines) and they
don't mind.  Most places of work give employees quite a bit of lattitude
as long as they don't do things that reflect badly on the company and if it
generates publicity that is positive they don't mind.  If Joe Bloggs who
works at Widgets Inc get's mentioned in the paper, thats free publicity
for Widgets Inc and indicates that Widgets Inc may have some-one with
some brain cells working for them (depending if they call Joe Bloggs an
'evil hacker' or not :-).

eric
--
Eric Young                  | Signature removed since it was generating
AARNet: eay@mincom.oz.au    | more followups that the message contents :-)

Thread