1995-08-03 - Re: There’s a hole in your crypto…

Header Data

From: Childers James <ic58@jove.acs.unt.edu>
To: Jim Ray <liberty@gate.net>
Message Hash: cd71e67f72b176644d7f7f95fb8bef0a90818419cba8c95982edb6f5fa669818
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.950803144627.17899B-100000@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Reply To: <199508031918.PAA16067@bb.hks.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-03 19:53:23 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 3 Aug 95 12:53:23 PDT

Raw message

From: Childers James <ic58@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 95 12:53:23 PDT
To: Jim Ray <liberty@gate.net>
Subject: Re: There's a hole in your crypto...

On Thu, 3 Aug 1995, Jim Ray wrote:

> >Doesn't the NSA certify the security of cryptosystems?
> >I wonder what they'd say about PGP?
>
> Their consultant, Prof. Dorothy Demming(sp?), has been asked this very
> question about PGP, and she deftly avoided comment on both PGP and IDEA.
> [I believe this was on NPR, but I'm not certain.] The emergence of NSA
> from absolutely secret agency to semi-public status (writing letters,
> P.R. concerns, opening a museum, etc.) at the same time as the general
> availability of what's considered by many [including me] to be strong,
> free, cryptography "for the masses" is interpreted by many [including me]
> as an implicit NSA comment on the availability of strong crypto in
> general, and on the availability of PGP in particular.

I'm afraid I don't follow. Are you saying that the NSA is assuming a more
public role because (apparently) stong crypto is now widely available to
the public? I don't see the connection between A and B if this is what
you are claiming.

Unless they're gearing up for a PR campaign... I wonder how the NSA has
been portrayed in Hollywood in the past. I've just seen them mentioned in
one movie I can think about ("Crimson Tide"). Anyone else know of references?

"Freedom is meaningless unless  | ic58@jove.acs.unt.edu - James Childers
 you can give to those with whom| No man's freedom is safe
 you disagree." - Jefferson     |    while Congress is in session
        EA 73 53 12 4E 08 27 6C   21 64 28 51 92 0E 7C F7

Thread