1995-08-29 - Re: Florida Drivers Permits and a Hello

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e86801d777f1ebc8ba44373f757d7b32ad0f3695189dc4ddab1c6528485676dc
Message ID: <199508291905.MAA04950@desiree.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 12:05:44 PDT

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 12:05:44 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Florida Drivers Permits and a Hello

At 01:47 PM 8/29/95 -0500, you wrote:
>Alan Olsen writes
>>They would not have to include an entire thumbprint.  The actual code used
>>to verify fingerprints is not very large.  All that would be needed is
>>enough information to ID into the "official" records and enough checksum
>>type information to prevent alteration/counterfitting.  Using magnetic media
>>for this is a bit foolish as it can be changed/destroyed with the stroke of
>>a magnet.  I will not say by what means I would think should suit as a
>>better encoding scheme because: 1) They are not using it and 2) I do not
>>want to give them any ideas.
>
>What possible value could the LEAs get by having your thumbprint digitally
>encoded on your driver's license?  It's not like the average cop-on-the-beat
>is qualified to lift a fingerprint and compare it.  Even if he was, how
>does it benefit that the fingerprint is on the license?
>
>This seems silly.

I was pointing out that it was possible.  I was not trying to make the point
that there was any *USE* for such a thing.  (Evidently some ID cards now
carry such prints. California does, if memory serves me correctly.)

Just because something is silly does not mean it will not be tried by
someone in law enforcement.  In fact, there seems to be a corelation between
silly acts and law enforcement...  (Or at least those making the rules about
law enforcement.)  And if you think it cannot get any worse, Pete "I want to
seal the borders" Wilson has announced he is running for president.  We will
be getting a large number of silly laws and pronouncements if the American
people are stupid enough to elect him to high office.

|            Visualize whirled keys!              | alano@teleport.com   |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmerman unites    | Disclaimer:          |
|all mankind free in one-key-stenography-privacy!"| Ignore the man       |
|   -- PGP 2.6.2 key available on request --      |  behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.teleport.com/~alano          |       <fnord>        |

Thread