1995-09-29 - (Fwd) Internet Euro-Clipper

Header Data

From: “Peter Trei” <trei@process.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 06a450ab146d32c5a682c5545d2c9e4f0d5125364b3dfbbe4de44854753db1fc
Message ID: <9509292102.AA10120@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 29 Sep 95 14:02:13 PDT

Raw message

From: "Peter Trei" <trei@process.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 95 14:02:13 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: (Fwd) Internet  Euro-Clipper

From Risks Digest, via www-buyinfo

F Y I

from the RISKS DIGEST-----------

Date: 20 Sep 1995 12:24:10 GMT
From: rja14@cl.cam.ac.uk (Ross Anderson)
Subject: European Governments Agree to Ban Strong Crypto

According to an article in `Communications Week International', the
34-nation Council of Europe has agreed to outlaw strong encryption
products which do not make keys available to governments.

The article, `Euro-Clipper chip scheme proposed', is on the
front page of the magazine's issue 151, dated 18th September, which
arrived in my mail this morning.

It relates that the policy was approved on the 8th September
at Strasbourg by the Council, and coincides with an attempt by the
European Commission to propose a pan-European encryption standard.
The Council - unlike the Commission - has no statutory powers to
enforce its recommendations.

However, Peter Csonka, the chairman of the committee that
drafted the document (and an administrative officer at the
Council's division of crime problems) says that `it is rare for
countries to reject  Council of Europe recommendations'.

The proposal would make telecomms operators responsible for
decrypting traffic and supplying it to governments when asked. It
would also `change national laws to enable judicial authorities to
chase hackers across borders'.

Opposition to this measure was expressed by Mike Strezbek,
VP responsible for European telecomms at JP Morgan, who said that
his organisation `will challenge any attempt to limit the power of
our network encryption technologies very strongly'.

Czonka said that the Council had given consideration to
business interests but had tried to strike a balance between
privacy and justice. However, `it remains possible that
cryptography is available to the public which cannot
be deciphered,' his document says. `This might lead to the
conclusion to put restrictions on the possession, distribution, or
use of cryptography.'

Apparently another international organisation, the OECD, has
called a conference of its members in December to devise a strategy
on encryption.

I for one will be making clear to my MP that his stand on
this issue will determine how I cast my ballot at the next
election. I note that John Major stated in a 1994 parliamentary
written reply to David Shaw MP that the government did not intend
to legislate on data encryption.

I am disappointed that government policy has changed to the point
of supporting the Council of Europe, and that this change has
sneaked through during the parliamentary recess.

Ross Anderson

Peter Trei
Senior Software Engineer
Purveyor Development Team