1995-09-07 - Re: Collection of personal information etc. etc. etc.

Header Data

From: Deranged Mutant <rrothenb@ic.sunysb.edu>
To: damion.furi@the-matrix.com
Message Hash: 0b02cceeebe5d55b168d8432ed39d0a5e8eb797eea288fb258638d74c9391d58
Message ID: <199509070305.XAA18310@libws4.ic.sunysb.edu>
Reply To: <8B094FC.000504D58B.uuout@the-matrix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-07 03:04:38 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 6 Sep 95 20:04:38 PDT

Raw message

From: Deranged Mutant <rrothenb@ic.sunysb.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 95 20:04:38 PDT
To: damion.furi@the-matrix.com
Subject: Re: Collection of personal information etc. etc. etc.

>         It's not just credit anymore.  If you buy something at Radio
>         Shack, even with cash, they want you to give all your info
>         voluntarily and they _will_ give you flack if you don't
>         cooperate (which can be short-circuited by threatening to cause
>         a scene or by suggesting loudly that <competitor> has lower
>         prices).

Depends on the counter people. The local RS here the clerks don't care
much about it and will enter a random number. A local Service Merchandise
does the same thing, but they're pesky, so I make up silly names to test
the wits of impatient teenage mutant cashiers.  (They also used to have
a computer where you enter your telno. and place orders to pick up at
the desk... I don't think the system bills you automatically but the
employees probably won't like it when you have them get 10 wieght sets
out...)

Thread