1995-09-06 - Re: Scientology and police visit XS4ALL Amsterdam

Header Data

From: an253398@anon.penet.fi (Mole Rat)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1710548e2079c89214d69f90b211ed03a7fe15d4d27067e089d2d091805b38f9
Message ID: <9509060434.AA09596@anon.penet.fi>
Raw Date: Tue, 5 Sep 95 22:07:21 PDT

Raw message

From: an253398@anon.penet.fi (Mole Rat)
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 95 22:07:21 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Scientology and police visit XS4ALL Amsterdam

announce@xs4all.nl writes:
     [ snip ]
 >     Police and members of Scientology church enter offices of XS4ALL
 >     ================================================================
 >
 > Amsterdam - thuesday september 5, 1995.
 >
 > Today at about 14:00, XS4ALL was visited by Mr. S. Braan,
 > bailiff. He was acting on behalf of the Religious
 > Technology Centre, better known as the Scientology Church, or
 > Scientology for short. He was assisted by a local police officer and Mr.
 > Hermans from the 'Nauta-Dutilh' legal firm that represents Scientology
 > in The Netherlands. Also present were two computer experts (Mr. Ootjes
 > and Mr. Van Suchtelen) a locksmith (to enter had we not been present) and
 > two American employees of Scientology, Mr. Weightman and Ms. Jenssen.
     [ snip ]

     This is the second or third time I've seen descriptions of such
     raids where cult (no, I'm not trying to be diplomatic)
     representatives were present and participating.  Is this legal in
     Amsterdam?  How about in the U.S.?  Britain?

     If a police officer has a warrant then I really don't have much
     choice about letting him in.  Am I also under an obligation to
     allow the people who filed for the warrant into my home or
     business?

     Thanks,

     Mole Rat
To find out more about the anon service, send mail to help@anon.penet.fi.
If you reply to this message, your message WILL be *automatically* anonymized
and you are allocated an anon id. Read the help file to prevent this.
Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to admin@anon.penet.fi.

Thread