1995-09-22 - RE: Prosecution of Cracking Security Systems

Header Data

From: David Van Wie <dvw@hamachi.epr.com>
To: “‘cypherpunks’” <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 1bec5e02043de6efd9acd5aeb3a8a6a16a523017e8fe0164d10e2ec83c8d2c6b
Message ID: <30621328@hamachi>
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 18:38:56 PDT

Raw message

From: David Van Wie <dvw@hamachi.epr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 18:38:56 PDT
To: "'cypherpunks'" <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: RE: Prosecution of Cracking Security Systems

Tim May wrote:

> One thing that worries me is that some of the proposed laws about
> intellectual property and enforcment of copyrights may make it illegal to
> try to break the cryptographic protections of systems, even systems one
has
> control over. (Some similarities to the "no reverse engineering"
> shrink-wrap licenses.)
>
> It's conceivable that Netscape Communications could, under these
> "anti-hacking" laws, seek a prosecution of some future Goldberg and
Wagner.

Actually, Lehman's report does not recommend this harsh of a measure.  The
report recommends penalties (some criminal) for tampering with and disabling
mechanisms that are protecting copyright for protected works, and the
protected works themselves.  If a hacker operating in the "public service"
mode you described were tampering with and/or disabling a protection
mechanism that was applied to their own works, or test patterns and the
like, they wouldn't fall under the recommended guidlines.  It is pretty
clear from my reading that you need to have an intent to violate copyright
(i.e. steal stuff) in order to trigger the penalties.

Who knows how badly Congress will mangle all of this...

dvw

Thread