1995-09-27 - netscape NSRANDFILE compatible with /dev/random ?

Header Data

From: Frank A Stevenson <frank@funcom.no>
To: Jeff Weinstein <jsw@netscape.com>
Message Hash: 1f4b32de52bf991bb49fcd6bee22d2921a2c5a018733ad28f05f0a08baa63aa4
Message ID: <Pine.SGI.3.91.950927082835.1586B-100000@odin>
Reply To: <9509261428.ZM150@tofuhut>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-27 07:50:40 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 27 Sep 95 00:50:40 PDT

Raw message

From: Frank A Stevenson <frank@funcom.no>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 95 00:50:40 PDT
To: Jeff Weinstein <jsw@netscape.com>
Subject: netscape NSRANDFILE compatible with /dev/random ?

What happens if NSRANDFILE is set to /dev/random ?
will netscape try to read an infinite number of random bytes ?

> do it.  Instead of reading ~/.pgp/randseed.bin, we now get the name
> of a file from the environment variable NSRANDFILE, and pass that
> file's contents throught the RNG seed hash.  If you decide that its
> safe, you can set the env variable to point to your randseed.bin file,
> or any other file of random bits you care to use.
> Netscape Communication Corporation
> jsw@netscape.com - http://home.netscape.com/people/jsw
> Any opinions expressed above are mine.

  Frank